History

 

DSC 0347

“Service to mankind  is service to GOD” is a noble saying. There are different kinds of service. Of all, the service done in the form of enlightening the minds of human being  to dispel the darkness of ignorance from their lives is really  a laudable service. As a part of this service came into existence “Veerasaiva Vidyavardhaka Sangha” in the year 1916 to sun some Primary, Higher- Primary and High Schools in Bellary district. Also it started running hostels for poor students providing food and accommodation at free of cost

Being in the field of education, the sangha  identified in 1945 the necessity of a degree college in Bellary region to cater to the needs of the people in higher education. As a founding  father came forward then active president of the sangha Sri.Yechi Reddy Mahabaleshwarappa  with all  enthusiasm and earnestness to swim against the strong current of the madras government policy of neither giving permission  easily for private colleges nor the government itself opening new colleges and to establish a College. As he was then the President of the District Board and reputed public  figure through the state for his able, efficient and honest administration, making use of his good offices succeeded in collecting three lakhs rupees from donors. On the personal request Sri.Y.Mahabaleswarappa seeking the permission to open a college, the Vice Chancellor of Madras University Dr. Lakshmana Swamy Mudaliar came to Bellary, conducted a survey , held discussions and granted permission to open the colleges on the condition that the required norms must be fulfilled within three years. Thus took Veerashaiva College  its birth in 1945.

The College had to face number of problems in its infant stage. But the untiring and persistent  effort  and  perseverance  of    Sri.Y.Mahabaleswarappa could  make the college overcome  all the hurdles and proceed forward victoriously with majestic steps on the path of prosperity.

From  the year 1960 the College, under  the  Principalship of Sri.D.Mariappa, Sri.Allum Karibasappa and Sri.N.Thippanna  as President  and Secretary of the Sangha  respectively,  got a turning  point with ensuring  expansion,  development and  consolidation  in  the period of  more than two decades. College became full–fledged with the introduction of basic subjects in Arts, Commerce and Science faculties. Also there was the infrastructure improvement like buildings, laboratories, library, equipments and furniture etc. College received state and central level grants. It  got  permanent  affiliation  from Mysore university and the government in 1964. Soon after, the Karnataka university  recognizing the prestigious state of the College and Sangha recommended  grant  of  autonomous  status to the College.

Contact Address

Veerashaiva College
Cantonment
Ballari

   
08392 - 242185 / 242183
    08392 - 242183
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.